Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The beginning

My idea for this blog site was to write about building my third guitar as I work on it.  My ideas about God and music will also be included, because the three things are meshed together in my mind.  Working on the guitar becomes a prayer sometimes, as does listening and playing music.  God seems to speak clearer when I'm doing these things.
    For those who are interested, I've posted pictures of the first two guitars I built in various stages of completion.  The pictures that look professional were taken by my son Jesse Savage, who is getting his website up and running, but you can click on the link to see some of his work.  The blonde is my first, which I built as a student of Brad Nickerson, an amazing luthier in Asheville NC.  The second is the sunburst, which I sold last month.  The third I will start tomorrow by taking three sets of tops, and backs and sides to a cabinet shop to have them trued up on a planer.  Then I will begin the tedious task of hand planing the pieces to make the plates.  I am building another archtop, so it will take awhile to get the joint just right.  The two pieces for the top are 1 to 11/2 inches thick and are bookend matches of each other, as are the pieces for the back.  You have to plane them perfectly, so that when you hold them up to the light (this is referred to as candling) you see no light through the joint.  The last time I did this I had 8hrs in one set and 4 in the other.  I hope to be a little speedier this time, but I'll let you know.
     My goal as a luthier is simple.  I am 51.  I built my first when I was 50.  I intend to get good enough, so that by the time I am 65, I won't be handing out carts at Walmart, or mixing paint at Lowes.  I figure if I can sell two a year by then, I'll be doing ok.  We live simple and don't need a lot to enjoy life.
     The best days of building are when you start, when you close up the body, when you put the strings on and it doesn't sound like a banjo, and when you polish the finish and put it in the case.  Tomorrow I start one of those days.  The adventure begins.

No comments: