Thursday, March 7, 2013

Carving the Top Plate

   I was able to get a lot of the top plate carved and sanded today.  I'll have the outside finished in another 4 or 5 hours.  While I was carving with the violin plane I hit a vein of dried sap.  When I finally got it down to size, I found that it has a definite imperfection in the grain.  I emailed my friend who is commissioning this piece and asked him if it would be acceptable or not.  I haven't heard back yet.  Some people are very particular about imperfections, but to me they add to the character of the wood.  Either way I'll use this top for a guitar now, or later.  Things are going a lot smoother this time around, but I still may have to start again making a new top plate.  Here are some pictures.  You have to envision an f hole cutting through the middle of the blemish.





Here's a little passage from the Tao.

Thirty spokes join one hub.
The wheel's use comes from emptiness.

Clay is fired to make a pot.
The pot's use comes from emptiness.

Windows and doors are cut to make a room.
The room's use comes from emptiness.

Therefore,
          Having leads to profit,
           Not having leads to use.
             

No comments: