Thursday, January 31, 2013

Prayers

       I finished the wash coats on the guitar on Monday.  Now it will hang for two weeks and I'll polish it.  It should be ready by Valentines Day.  I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately and I thought I would print some of my favorite prayers by some of my favorite saints and sinners.  I'll try to do one a day until I run out.  Some of these are from well known saints, some are from obscure singer-song writers, and others are from mystics of other cultures.  I would welcome your own favorite prayers if you would like to add them to the comment section, or send them to me in an email and I'll add them myself.   This first one is from a character, played by Jimmy Stewart, in a movie called Shenandoah.


Lord, we cleared this land.  We plowed it, sowed it, and harvested it.  We cooked the harvest.  It wouldn't be here; we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves.  We worked dog bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you just the same anyway for the food we're about to eat.  Amen.

No comments: